MY MOM’S APPLE PIE
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Put 1/2 stick (4 oz) butter into bowl and set aside.
- Fill a pie pan with your favorite pie dough (I use store-bought; I’m a cook, not a baker).
- Core 8 to 10 medium-sized tart apples.
- Grate apples into bowl using the 1/4″ side of the grater.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, dash of cinnamon, handful of chopped pecans.
- Into the butter, cut 1/2 cup brown sugar until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and cut into butter/sugar mixture until lumps are < 1 inch.
- Put apple filling into dough-lined pie pan.
- Cover with topping and spread evenly.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, until crust and topping are brown.
- Set aside to cool; (and no tasting until after dinner).
WEBER ROASTED CHICKEN
- Clean, rinse, and pat dry with a paper towel, one whole chicken.
- Using a carrot peeler, peel rind from one lemon; finely chop lemon rind.
- Squeeze lemon onto chicken and rub to cover completely with juice.
- Cover bird with finely-chopped lemon rind (zest), salt, and fresh-ground pepper.
- Start charcoal in Weber grill–concentrate charcoal on one side of the grill.
- When coals are well-lit (~30 min) toss a handful of apple chips onto the coals (I cut 2-3 inch pieces from branches when pruning).
- Immediately, put chicken on side of grill opposite coals and cover; open all vents and don’t touch that lid for about 2 hrs (25 min per lb at 4500 ft elevation).
- Chicken is done when juice is clear, not red.
- Remove from grill and let bird rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.